- Bachelor's degree in nursing from an accredited college or university and two (2) years of previous nursing experience.
- Certification or eligible for certification by the Florida State Department of Education.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Florida Nursing license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to communicate effectively using written and oral communication skills; ability to use effective positive interpersonal skills; ability to assist students by action or interaction in carrying out specialized therapeutic or physical care plans and procedures; ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of special needs and therapeutic equipment; familiarity with HIPA laws of confidentiality; knowledge of OSHA compliance standards; Commitment to a core set of beliefs about learning, teaching and ongoing professional development.
REPORTS TO: School Principal
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares medications for administration and dispenses such to students in accordance with physician orders and established time schedules.
- Monitors, provides assistance and administers insulin to diabetics. Administers various treatments in the instance of low/high sugar levels.
- Performs tube feedings, inhalations and catherizations according to physician orders; takes vital signs and assesses conditions.
- Charts and maintains accurate records of activities performed, i.e. medications dispensed, incident reports, nursing notes, daily treatments and interventions.
- Monitors materials and medications to ensure appropriate supply levels and re-orders when necessary.
- Ensures the safe and sanitary conditions of the school clinic, i.e. stocking supplies, cleaning surfaces, and changing exam paper.
- Cleans medical supplies according to proper sanitation procedures, i.e. syringes, breathing apparatus and medical dispensers.
- Maintains student medical records, pulls records for review prior to evaluation appointments and researches medical diagnoses as appropriate.
- Provides billing information for students eligible for Medicaid regarding treatment, intervention and guardian contacts.
- Confers with evaluation team regarding student medical information and requests medical histories as appropriate.
- Collaborates with teaching staff for health and safety of all students.
- Provides training and education of all school staff in following necessary health and sanitation procedures.
- Responsible for supervising the assignments of the LPN and that the assignments are in their scope of practice according to the Florida Board of Nursing.
- Implement knowledge of the Response to Intervention model in both academic and behavioral structures.
- Responsible for keeping up to date on current technology, as job appropriate, being used by OCPS. With the support of the district, attends training to ensure skill level in various technologies is at the level required to perform in current position.
- Responsible for timely and accurate information they maintain as part of their job responsibilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Physical Ability: Tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (l2-20 pounds).
Sensory Requirements: Most tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Some tasks require oral communications ability. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds.
Environmental Factors: Tasks are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, animals/wildlife, toxic/poisonous agents, violence, disease or pathogenic substances.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions as set forth in the OCPS Instructional Personnel Evaluation System procedures manual.